Re: netbooting a dual-G4 powermac ?

Hello,

On Jun 21, 2008, at 06:22, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
On Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 09:16:21PM -0400, Michael Lorenz wrote:

Hello,

On Jun 20, 2008, at 13:06, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
Hi,
I've a dual-CPU G4 powermac (openfirmware 3) that I'm trying to boot.
I couldn't get it to netboot; it will eventually load ofwboot.xcf
from the
tftp server if I specify its name on the OFW boot line, but it'll
never get
the kernel from the NFS server (which is the same as the tftp server).
tcpdump shows that dhcp is never sending the NFS root path to the
client.
I have:
group {
        filename "ofwboot.xcf";
        option root-path "/home/NetBSD/macppc";
       host taz.soc {
                fixed-address 132.227.103.18;
                option host-name "taz";
                hardware ethernet 00:03:93:95:07:06;
        }
}

Has anybody been able to netboot a G4 macppc from a NetBSD 3.x host ?

Yes.
I remember having to use the next-server option in dhcpd.conf, point

Could you share the relevant part of dhcpd.conf if you still have it ?

Unfortunately I don't. What I ran into was this - the G4 would get an IP via DHCP, load the loader but the loader wouldn't find the NFS server to load the kernel from even though it's IP is identical to the DHCP server. What helped was to add 'next-server 192.168.0.whatever;' We certainly needed that in 4.0, I never tried it with 3.0 but I suspect we need it there as well.

it at your nfs server. Not sure if that's a bug in Apple's OF or our
dhcpd.

I already have it. I also tried to add these options to the host {} section,
but still no go :(

Hmm, my dhcpd.conf for a sparc64 box uses this:
  host becherovka {
    hardware ethernet 08:00:20:aa:bb:cc;
    filename "netbsd.becherovka";
    fixed-address 192.168.0.18;
    server-name "talisker";
    option root-path "/home/sparc64";
    next-server talisker;
  }
I'm pretty sure that's derived from what I used to boot my G4.

Does your G4 do any nfs talk at all? I remember having to fiddle around with those server IP options.

have fun
Michael