Re: Near successful iMac G3 Install

Hi,

To add to what Michael said:

### My ultimate goal is to try to "install" ofwboot and ofwboot.xcf
by copying them to an HFS partition (then I can boot into Mac OS 9 via
CD and copy them from there to the HFS+ boot partition ( but I don't
know if there is a better, easier, way)

You can use a DOS partition instead, NetBSD can read and write those, unlike HFS+. As far as I know all versions of OpenFirmware Apple ever
came up with can read DOS partitions.

I used an HFS partition with my laptop, once you get ofwboot.xcf there
you never have to touch it again (unless you want to upgrade that file,
of course).

- I believe that I read that HFS+ is not recognizable by BSD, but
that HFS can be used to transfer files

We have read-only support for HFS+, there are userland tools to deal with HFS.

You'll want the sysutils/hfsutils package from pkgsrc if you're indeed
sticking with an HFS boot partition.  You can get a binary here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD-3.1/powerpc/sysutils/hfsutils-3.2.6nb1.tgz

The simplest way to get that package onto an install you're in the
midst of tinkering with (if you don't have networking up) is to put
the file on a USB pen drive or a CD-RW and transfer it from there.
Install it with pkg_add, read the man page, and off you go.

(If you're vi-phobic, you could also do the same for your rc.conf file
and anything else, of course: edit elsewhere and transfer.)

Regards,

Dave