Re: Beige G3 webserver

Hi,

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Michael Lorenz wrote:
> I have the same model, didn't have any problem netbooting it from a
> NetBSD/sparc box. Do the usual dhcp, tftp & nfs setup, then boot enet
> on the G3.

There is a mac dealer in town, so was able to get a G3 Beige motherboard
with Open Firmware 2.4. I still can't netboot (infact, I have not been
able to make it boot from the drive that I setup with the B&W).

> Don't forget the usual firmware patches, this version is funky even
> by Apple's standards. The onboard SCSI controller is a 5MB/s mesh,
> you /will/ want something faster.
> Oh, and you will definitely not want to use the onboard ethernet for
> anything else than netbooting.

I have alot of firmware updates, but I don't have any firmware updates for
the G3 Beige. From what the guy said that I got the motherboard from,
there are no firmware updates for Open Firmware 2.4. I see a NetBSD 1.05
patch, but not a 2.x (of course, I could be missing something). What
firmware patches did you apply?

Thanks,
Al