Re: Upgrade from 3.0 to 4.0 quandry. . .SOLVED

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 09:14:32 +0100
Peter Bex <Peter.Bex%xs4all.nl@localhost> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 29, 2008 at 10:39:32PM -0600, jim smith wrote:
> > Here's the quandry: how do I get the new ofwboot.xcf and netbsd kernel
> > to the old HFS partition?
>
> Why boot the kernel from HFS?  At home, I run NetBSD/macppc with ofwboot
> on a very small HFS partition, and I let it read the kernel straight
> from FFS.  This works only for FFSv1, not FFSv2, though.
>
> "boot hd:,\ofwboot.xcf hd:11,/netbsd" is the command I use for that,
> on my single-boot machine.  The partition number may differ on your machine.
> I never really understood the mapping of "partition" numbers to
> disklabel partitions..
>
> Cheers,
> Peter

Thanks--that did it.  I originally put the kernel on the HFS partition
because I ran out of time trying to figure out how to get it to boot
the kernel from FFS.  Turns out [I still have my old notes] I had
forgotten the forward slash before the name of the kernel.

Thanks again.

--
jim smith <n0oct%sbcglobal.net@localhost>

--