Port-mac68k archive

Re: NetBSD 7.0 on Mac LC III

Here are some test results...

The test system is a Mac LC III with 36 MB.  NetBSD 7.0 Release is
installed on the internal disk; NetBSD 7.0 Modified (with the fix for
the rc scripts and the optimized packages compiled by John Klos) is
installed on an external disk.  I'm still using the kernel that I
optimized and compiled on the LC III (I couldn't get "BSD/Mac68k Booter"
to boot cross-compiled kernels from NetBSD's /).

   DESCRIPTION          NetBSD 7.0 Release   NetBSD 7.0 Modified
   -----------------    ------------------   -------------------
1) boot time              19 min 15 sec          3 min 37 sec
2) login at console        1 min 30 sec          1 min 27 sec
3) "ps aux"                0 min 10 sec          0 min 10 sec
4) "su"                    1 min 18 sec          1 min 18 sec
5) password change
     enter old pw          1 min 22 sec          1 min 19 sec
     enter new pw          1 min 31 sec          1 min 23 sec

So boot time is much improved, though some commands are still slow,
especially commands that use or process passwords.

-Stan