Port-mac68k archive

Stuck in tstile

Hi,

I've seen this problem for a couple of years now, but it happens so infrequently that it's hard to pin down. On various m68k Macs on NetBSD through 5.99.23, a system will wedge with a process in tstile for no good reason. For instance, on a system which has been up and happy for 60 days, running "w" stalled; I thought it was taking a while trying to resolve reverse DNS, but it never finished and control-t showed it in tstile. Control-c or control-z do nothing, and I cannot ssh to it. It's colocated, so I can't see what, if anything, is on the screen until I visit.

I've written about this before:

http://old.nabble.com/NetBSD-5-hang-td21509435.html

(note that I'm using nabble here because it shows the entire thread on one page)

One postulation regarding SCSI bus issues has been eliminated because the 5.99.23 machine on which this happened is a Quadra 630-type machine with nothing on the SCSI bus. The main drive is IDE.

Any clues? Has anyone else run into this issue?

John