Port-mac68k archive

NetBSD 5.0.2 problems on IIci

Hello.  I've had some trouble getting NetBSD 5.0.2 working on a Mac IIci.  The
GENERICSBC kernel boots (the GENERIC kernel hangs at boot), and there are no
errors logged that I can find, but most commands, especially ones that use the
network, seem slow.  For example, it takes about 20 to 30 seconds for a "w"
command to return, and telnet and ftp are extremely slow to connect.  I
installed 5.0.2 to an external 4 GB disk using the traditional method, which
seems to require that all the OS be in the first gigabyte of disk space, then
after booting the entire disk is available.

Also, X worked only for root (may be a permissions problem; I don't remember
the error message).

As a test, I installed 1.6.2, and it works great, even X.  Telnet and ftp work
as expected with 1.6.2.  I'm also using the SBC kernel with 1.6.2 -- the
GENERIC kernel boots and works ok but crashes at shutdown and leaves the
external disk active in an odd way that requires a power cycle before I can use
it again.

The IIci has a Daystar PPC card, but it's configured to boot using the 68030.
I don't remember what brand of network card I'm using but I can check if it
would help (the interface comes up as ae0).  The system has 128 MB memory, an
internal 18 GB Seagate ST318417N disk and an external 4 GB disk, and I believe
everything is terminated correctly.

Thanks for any advice..

-Stan