Subject: Re: master site for booter?
To: Dave Huang <khym@azeotrope.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 06/16/2003 23:21:46
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, Dave Huang wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 16, 2003 at 09:51:35PM -0400, mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> > So my questions are:
> >
> > Why are there 4 versions of the booter up for ftp with the 1.6.1 release?

Unfortunately, whoever did the 1.6.1 sets just copied the files from
1.6, instead of using the template in the arch directory.

> Don't know... however, I think those files are misnamed.
> Booter2.0.0a10.sea-link.sea is, despite the filename, more of a
> Booter2.0.0a10.sit. Changing the type to SITD, or just dropping it on
> Stuffit Expander should do the trick.

This one's newer:

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/Booter2.0.0.sea

I put a MacBinary version of the Booter program, and a uuencoded
MacBinary version up, too, in the same directory, and also of the
manual:

 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/BSD_Mac68k_Booter.bin
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/BSD_Mac68k_Booter.bin.uue
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/BooterManual.stxt.bin
 ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/BooterManual.stxt.bin.uue

Stuffit Expander (TM) will work on those, but MacBinary is an open
format, so there are other tools that can work with the archives. In
particular netatalk's "unbin" can expand them on the server to a form
that can be served, and hfsutils "hcopy" or "xhfs" can copy them
directly to an HFS partition on the same host.

By the way, the reason the ".sea" doesn't work, as I posted back in
December:

 http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-mac68k/2002/12/14/0005.html

is that the Stuffit (TM) run-time stub is for PowerPC -- another good
reason to stick to the open formats.

Nigel Pearson maintains the Booter. He generally posts to this list
when there's a new version, but you can get the latest alpha off of
his web site:

 http://www.users.bigpond.com/pear_computers/

Frederick