Subject: Re: macintosh lc III
To: Ronald Cotoni <setient@cma2600.org>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fredb@immanent.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 12/14/2002 20:31:35
On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Ronald Cotoni wrote:

> i keep trying to get that file on the page it says it is 92 k when i
> download it it says it is 90 and doesn't execute.....i have no clue why
> this is maybe my connection is lossy

92325/1024 = 90.16, i.e. 90K. The reason the ".sea" archive doesn't
execute, is because it's a Mac PowerPC binary. You should still be
able to use "Stuffit Expander (TM)" on it. To be a mac68k executable
binary, it would have to have a resource fork, so it would require
additional encoding, anyhow.

"BSD_Mac68k_Booter.bin" on the other hand, is not an archive, but
rather just the binary in MacBinary format. Most Mac OS ftp clients
(such as Netscape Navigator, Anarchie) will convert that automatically
into an executable binary, but you could use "Stuffit Expander" on it,
too. With the manual, "BooterManual.stxt.bin", you have all the
contents of Nigel Pearson's original archive (without need of any
particular third party software to get at it).

I also put up uuencoded versions of the same two files. Eventually,
I suppose the uuencoded versions will be committed to the NetBSD
sources, to be used to automatically generate the installation/misc
directory (which will contain the MacBinary files).

> On Sat, 14 Dec 2002, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>
> > You have booter 1.x. You need booter 2.x which is available from:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/installation/misc/
> >
> > The file you need is either BSD_Mac68k_Booter.bin or Booter2.0.0.sea.
> > Booter2.0.0.sea contains the manual along with the booter which
> > BSD_Mac68k_Booter.bin just has the booter.
> >
> > The error comes from the fact that kernels are now in ELF format while
> > they were in a.out format before. Only the new 2.x booter supports the
> > ELF format. Hope that helps.
> >
> > Bryan
> >
> > On Saturday, December 14, 2002, at 05:21 PM, Ronald Cotoni wrote:
> >
> > > i have a macintosh lc III here it was runing a broken 1.5.3 install so
> > > decided to reinstall with 1.6.  WHen i try to use the kernel booter to
> > > boot the intaller kernel it says boot error: this kernel is not in a
> > > format which the booter can execute.  anyone else had this error?

Frederick