Port-m68k archive

Re: GCC 4.8 out of memory

On Tue, 2 Jun 2015 20:18:02 +0200
Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

> > Wasn't that 224MB for 040/060?
>
> that was apparently fixed:
> [...]

Oh, indeed. I forgot that this fix was related. So it's 480 MB for
Amiga now, although m68k/pmap_motorola.c would allow 512 MB.

> There is one place where MAXTSIZ is used, this is the check_exec()
> function that validates among other things the size of the text
> segment in an executable. Shared objects are mapped later by
> the runtime linker, and there is no runtime limit for text size.

Thanks for the explanation. Now I understand.

> > > The bumped VM_KERNEL_PT_PAGES are necessary for up to 2GB RAM.
> > [...]
> It is the number of pages that is used for the initial MMU table
> before the tables are expanded dynamically. After all, you need
> some memory to allocate additional MMU pages from.

Ok. So you need these additional pages to be able to cover large
address spaces, even if individual pages are not yet allocated/accessed
in this area?

> but netbsd-7 allocates more in early stages, so it's now 10.

Hm. I will try it with 10. I have a user report that 7.0beta doesn't
work on a 128MB A3000, with 256MB ZorRAM, CybervisionPPC graphics card
and probably other Z3 boards. Maybe it helps.

I'm testing a kernel with all the modifications of your vmparam.diff now.
I also noticed that your MAXTSIZ+DSIZ+SSIZ adds to exactly these 480MB.

--
Frank Wille