Port-m68k archive

Re: GCC 4.8 out of memory

On Mon, 1 Jun 2015 20:28:13 +0200
Michael van Elst <mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost> wrote:

> > Ok, I used most of that, but 32 MB for the text segment seems too much.
> > I chose 16 MB.
>
> It is just a limit. The only constraint is that the text+data+stack
> address space must be handled by pmap which is limited to 512MB.

Wasn't that 224MB for 040/060?

> largest binary I've seen so far is cc1plus with about 7MB.

That's just the text segment of cc1 and cc1plus. But I wonder what happens
with the dynamically linked text segments from all the shared objects? Do
we have to add their sizes?

> The bumped VM_KERNEL_PT_PAGES are necessary for up to 2GB RAM.

In my understanding the current 224MB pmap limit makes that useless.
And from the comment in vmparam.h I though this is just the initial
value, which will be dynamically extended?

> His new pmap code manages the full 4GB address space for processes.
> No diff or commits yet. I tested one of his kernels once on
> my Amiga emulator.

Sounds promising.
Maybe mhitch will read this some day. I am volunteering. :)

--
Frank Wille