Subject: Serious concerns about NetBSD on Intel Mainboards (take III)
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Daniel Cox <danielcox@myrealbox.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/2005 04:00:32
Hi,

I recently sent this (archived) message to netbsd-users:
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/02/09/0001.html

onboard Intel NIC (without any form of prompt or warning) and made the NIC
effectively useless.

Maybe I sent to the wrong list?
I have not received any response or been able to work out how to fix the
broken EEPROM. So far Intel has not provided me with anything useful
either.

In my case I will probably have to buy an extra card and cover the onboard
NIC.

My concern is, that if this problem can be caused by the released version
of NetBSD 2.0 (I am certainly not willing to try and see on another
board!) - then many more Notebooks, Servers and Workstations with current
Intel boards are going to be broken in the future.
Most manufacturers limit their support to Windows and may be reluctant to
fix this problem under warranty.

Assuming 2.0 may be broken, a patch that fixes in NetBSD-CURRENT would be
fine but I can hardly recommend to anyone that they might like to try
NetBSD. Chances are they will download the latest ISO or purchase a CD
even (which I would encourage as it contributes to the NetBSD funding) BUT
they could very easily end up with a stuffed NIC.

It is acceptable for an OS to just, not work very well on some hardware,
but this is the only case I have ever come across where the hardware is
'damaged'.

I know it is unlikely that a new binary release would be made available on
this issue alone but maybe a more prominent warning could be made.
With some help from the right person at Intel a utility to fix the card
would be even better.

I am not sure where to start but am prepared to experiment with a few
options or ideas - I can't make it any worse :-)

Thanks,
Daniel.