Subject: Re: Serious concerns about NetBSD on Intel Mainboards
To: Daniel Cox <danielcox@myrealbox.com>
From: Sean Davis <dive@endersgame.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/15/2005 12:40:13
On Wed, Feb 16, 2005 at 03:56:47AM +1030, Daniel Cox wrote:
> (the whole message this time - I hope)
>
> Hi,
>
> I recently sent this (archived) message to netbsd-users:
> http://mail-index.netbsd.org/netbsd-users/2005/02/09/0001.html

> onboard Intel NIC (without any form of prompt or warning) and made the
> NIC effectively useless.
>
> Maybe I sent to the wrong list?
> I have not received any response or been able to work out how to fix
> the broken EEPROM. So far Intel has not provided me with anything useful
> either

This problem has been reported before, I can recall at least two seperate
incidents when people had their intel NIC killed by NetBSD. I believe one of
them hacked it into working again, but I'm not sure how. IMHO, NetBSD should
leave the EEPROM alone... I think there might have been some issue with the
kernel not knowing which NICs need that eeprom fix and which NICs are
toasted by it, but I have no idea if it's corrected in -current or not.

I'm inclined to suspect that it was fixed, but the fix wasn't pulled up to
netbsd-1-6 or wasn't in the tree at all back in june 2004. I certainly hope
it's been fixed... I don't have any intel NICs, but a driver shouldn't break
the hardware it's meant to drive, anyway ;)

- Sean

--
 _
( ) ASCII Ribbon Campaign