To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: John Refling <johnr@spimageworks.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 05/26/1999 00:47:46
I have looked at the suggested site with the searchable index, and
it is quite helpful.  But some of the other posting, I must not be
the only one to not know about it.

Some Suggestions:

1.  The search box on at the page http://mail-index.netbsd.org/ is
at the bottom of the first screen on my machine.  The first thing
that I see is a list of the mail lists (eg port-i386) which is what
I want, and I click on that and get the same thing as on netbsd.org.
No searchable index as promised.  It would be well to rearrange
these, so the search is at the top, with a mention that it is a full
text search.

2.  The reason that I assumed we didn't have a full text search
capability was that I saw a meesage to that effect a long time ago,
in another mail archive area on netbsd.org.  Ie, one could only
search thru the headers.  Can't find that at the moment, but if it
is still there, it should be changed.

3.  It would be great to be able to limit the search by mail list
name, ie, port-i386 only.

4.  It still would be great to be able to download (and/or view) an
entire month or so (chronologically), since sometimes the follow-up
posting to a question doesn't have the same keywords as the original.
Or one may wish to browse the threads evolving from a posting.  This
is not easily done now, without a lot of back-and-forth on netscape.

Sorry, but less/more is a better browser for flat/linear text than
netscrape!

On my archive machine (which has vanished for now) I concatinated
every posting in a mail list to four files: one for the current month,
one up to and including the previous 1 day, one up to and including
the previous 2 days, and ... 4 days.  They were rotated daily.  This
gave one the opportunity to check progress once a day, or for the last
several days if you were out of the office for a long weekend, etc.
Basically to pick your level of commitment, depending on your NetBSD
needs, and your other outside needs.

This was not ideal either, but I found it helpful.