Re: Ext2 filesystems

On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 13:17:59 +0200, Adam Wysocki via ArcaBit wrote:

> > > Yes, but AFAIK not by default. You have to recompile it.
> > Is that possible on linux?
>
> As far as I know no, but you can always use some virtualization software
> (I've used VMware) and install NetBSD there. It does not need to be
> blazingly fast.
>
> Please see: http://snark.ptc.spbu.ru/~uwe/netbsd/cross.html

Heh, you seem to be thoroughly confused about cross compilation on
several levels. :)

To answer original question.

Cross compiling NetBSD under Linux (and most modern Unices) is
intended to work.  BTW, the referred page was started as an internal
note at my previous company and the host system used was Linux.
Sometimes crosscompilation on some version of Linux or other gets
broken - there are so many of them and it's already humanly impossible
to test any change that potentailly affect crosscompilation on even a
handful, but that is considered a bug in NetBSD build infrastructure
and we try to fix them as they are reported.

Also, the referred page is about converting NetBSD /usr/src
crosscompilation setup into more generic crosscompilation setup.  It's
totally irrelevant for /usr/src; for that - read /usr/src/BUILDING and
(probably before that, if you are new to NetBSD) a chapter from the
NetBSD Guide about compiling the kernel:

    http://www.netbsd.org/docs/guide/en/chap-kernel.html

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%stderr.spb.ru@localhost                       |       Zu Grunde kommen