Re: HP620LX

On Thu, Jul 14, 2005 at 15:49:47 +0800, Oleg Gritsak wrote:

> > IIRC, eVC3 doesn't support WinCE 2.0.  Also, older hpcboot versions
> > have a bug in ELF handling, and may by you are running into it, but
>
> Sorry, but what's "IIRC and eVC3"?

IIRC = "if I recall correctly".

On a NetBSD system you can run

    $ wtf iirc

In case you wonder wtf is wtf, run

    $ wtf wtf

:)

eVC3 is Microsoft's" eMbedded Visual C++ 3.0" - a tools framework used
to build hpcboot.  It doesn't support WinCE 2.0, unfortunately.

> > No, as I said, 620LX support has probably bit-rotted b/c we don't have
> > anyone actively testing/debugging it - even for trivial things.
> > E.g. while 680 has grown support for a lot of keymaps, 620LX still
> > only knows about Japenese.
>
> Is there any manual about creating keymaps?

I have data from Christer.  I'll commit US/EU models map shortly.

> If I succeed in making russian

You will not, wscons doesn't support cyrillic yet.  :(

> By the way, on my HP620LX wsconsctl -w encoding= switches between
> many encodings (at least uk,us and it). Or that's not the thing you
> are talking about?

Not entirely.  There are two parts to this:

1) How matrix scan keyboard is connected.  This is what _keytrans
   arrays in hpckbdkeymap.h are responsible for.  As I said Christer
   sent me the data I need for his "European" (#ABB) model.

   Think of it as the low level mapping from matrix scan data to what
   wscons maps call "keycode".

2) The wscons keympap itself - mapping from keycodes to keysyms (e.g.
   KS_Shift_L).

   Those are trivial to add.  We have the dufferent languge variants
   hardcoded into the kernel ((ab)using _cmdmap arrays in
   hpckbdkeymap.h) so that various punctuation stuff (greater-than
   sign, pipe, etc) can be used even in single user mode.

BTW, if someone has a 620LX that is *not* japenese or european english
(#ABB model, lots of letters with diacritic marks) - I'd be interested
to hear.  Note that this includes US/UK models.  I found one picture
on eBay, but it's less than great.  I think the keyboard is physically
the same - as far as I can discern on that bad picture, but I want to
be sure.

Thanks.

SY, Uwe
--