Re: development

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 04:02:08 +1100, Michael McCormack wrote:

> I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be spending a lot of time writing
> small, "hello world"-ish programs.. For the first six months or so of
> the course, anyway. Any idea how well C/C++ ports from SH3 to i386?

Should "just work".

> The only reason I really need connectivity is to swap via NFS (at
> 10Mbit/s.. ugh.) ... I've been meaning to pick up a PCMCIA->IDE or
> PCMCIA->SCSI adapter for this machine for .. well, ever since I
> installed NetBSD. AFAIK, PCMCIA->IDE adapters have been around for ages,
> and definitely predate cardbus so there should be something somewhere..
> having to lug around an external drive + power supply would seriously
> limit mobility tho. I guess I can leech power in the student lounge or
> something :)
>
> Whether or not the adapters in question are still in production, and how
> easy they are to get hold of is a whole different kettle of fish. If I
> do get hold of one, would you like to be notified of the result?

5GB PCMCIA drives seems to be under $200.  And they are really PCMCIA
form factor.

    http://www.epinions.com/Hard_Drives-1_5_GB-PC_Card

If you'll get one, it would be nice to post its dmesg lines here.

> All that aside tho, I can still edit on the Jornada and compile
> somewhere else. Can you recommend a good development-oriented text
> editor that's suitable (ie; not too big) for this platform? There's
> always vi, but I'd kinda like to have syntax highlighting and so on
> because, well, I'm not very good at coding yet :) .. and I never learned
> all the commands :)

I never tried emacs on sh3, so I don't know if it works.  And I don't
know if emacs is considered "small" this days :), but I think by
modern standards it's not that big.

SY, Uwe
--
uwe%ptc.spbu.ru@localhost                         |       Zu Grunde kommen