Re: Installing NetBSD on HP Jornada 680 - newbie...

Hi, Thorsten, hi list,
thanks for the advice.

Just in case I got you right:

1. you wrote: "there is also a binary set avaible from the 1.6.1 release of
NetBSD"
-since I don't want to make an own distribution, I can take those binaries
(are these the so-called 'snap shots'?) and don't have to cross-build?

2. said, uwe: "Partition the CF using fdisk on your NetBSD host machine.
Create a
small FAT partition, about 10Mb should be sufficient, and use the rest
of CF for NetBSD partition."
-does that mean that I need to have NetBSD running on my host-machine?
-if not, is how can I fdisk my compact flash card to get one small partition
with FAT for the win-ce  backup and another one for use with NetBSD?

3. win-ce-backup and hpcboot
-the whole win-ce is to be backupped and copied into that FAT partition on
the compact flash card
-run hpcboot.exe from the FAT partition on the compact flash card
-boot from storage card 2, file netbsd, root on wd (what does the latter
mean?)

4. general questions
-doesn't NetBSD boot automatically every time I switch the jornada on?
-if it doesn't, does that mean that everytime I want to boot NetBSD I will
have to do it via win-ce?
-is it easy to apply x-window to NetBSD?
-is there touchscreen-support for any x-window?
-which x-window package is appropriate for getting the most out (in terms of
speed and compatibilty) of the jornada 680?

Thank you very much! ;-)

I hope that NetBSD is the solution to the lack of win-ce-functionality. I
can't even get a working Java-Compiler for Windows CE 2.11

Ciao,
Jason.

> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Jason Daivandy wrote:
>
> > Dear list,
> >
> > I want to use NetBSD on my Jornada 680, but since I'm new to the metier
of mobile computing and unix-systems I have a couple of questions.

http://netbsd.triada.bg/Ports/hpcsh/howto-use.html)