Port-hpcmips archive

Re: WorkPad z50 and GnuPG

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 12:04:50AM -0400, der Mouse wrote:
> Depends on how patient you are.

Ah... ok.

> Seriously, you can do real crypto in practically any environment; the
> only question is how fast it'll be.  Given enough RAM, I could probably
> do crypto a la GPG on a 6502, provided speed is not important.

Ah, ok.
The z50 i'm buying has only got 16 megs of ram.
How much may I wait? about 10, 15 seconds?
I mean... ok, it's slow. But how much?

I may only need to sign or crypt an email, so about max 40/50 lines of
clear text.

> Unless you demand "finishes before you can get your finger off the
> keystroke" levels of performance, I see no issue with the z50.  Mine
> does fine with SSH, which I believe is comparable in computational
> load, provided I'm mildly patient.  (Well, did, at least - since the
> add-on RAM died, I haven't done anything with it.)

Ok.
I plan to do study some networking... Like, leaving my computer turned
on and connected to the internet at home, go to school, connect to the
wireless network and try to access my resources via the net, or try to
set up a basic vpn or so.. something like this. Mounting nfs shared
folders, starting graphic apps via networked X..

Well, i may say i am planning to play a lot with my z50 :D

I hope to find a memory module too. Any one in this list would like to
sell his/her (her? a girl following port-hpcmips ??) one ? Just send me
a private email.

Thanks,
Emanuele Santoro