Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Mp3 pleying on z50

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adam Hulin <adam.hulin%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
> For my nec I used mad, since it's integer only.
> http://www.underbit.com/products/mad/
>
> On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Emanuele Santoro
> <santoro%autistici.org@localhost> wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>> another unuseful question - myabe useful to get away some FUD about
>> buying a z50.
>>
>> The question is: how it the z50 for playing mp3 ?
>> I don't plan to use it as streaming server or so, i just would like to
>> know if i'll be able to play an mp3 file using a headset ?
>>
>> I mean: will the mp3 player (mplayer? mpg321? mpg123? what would
>> you use?) kill mi z50 getting it slow and unusable?
>>
>> What if i use mp3s with a lower bitrate (max 64 kb/s) ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Emanuele Santoro
>>
>> --
>> Un informatico val dal dottore.
>> Dottore: - Dica trentatrè...
>> Informatico: - 1 0 0 0 1

@emanuele: i have yet to get an mp3 to sound good on my z50 running
netbsd 4.0. madplay works in the sense that one can hear something
identifiable as music, but there are significant hesitations and wow
and flutter sounds. please see the messages to this list a few days
ago, including the advice from elijahr re recent audio changes in
-current

@adam: what kernel are you using?

thanks!

tom