Port-hpcmips archive

Re: Booting -current on the z50

On Mon, Sep 29, 2008 at 9:27 AM, elijah rutschman <elijahr%gmail.com@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 9:51 PM, Thomas Miller
> <tilakkhana%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> What's the incantation to get the boot to finish?
>
> Hi Tom,
> You'll need to boot up with the install kernel again, then mount both the
> MSDOS and NetBSD root partitions on your CF Card.  Copy /netbsd to
> /mnt-msds/ (or wherever you mounted the MSDOS partition).  That way hpcboot
> will have direct access to the kernel and can load it into memory from
> within Windows CE, just like it did with the install kernel.  You'll only
> need to do this once, or again if you install a new kernel later.  Good luck
> with the audio stuff!
>
> Cheers,
> Elijah
> http://elijahr.blogspot.com/

Hi Elijah!

I tried your suggestion of putting the -current kernel on the msdos
partition of the cf card and I got the same hang in the kernel boot
messages:

[. . .]
boot device: <unknown>
root device:

I think maybe the hang results from changes in the kernel, see
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-xen/2008/04/10/msg003557.html. also,
hpcboot seems to be able to find kernels on netbsd / just as well as
on the msdos partition of the cf card.

More ideas on how to get the boot to continue on a z50 with -current?

Thanks!

Tom