Port-hpcmips archive

Re: z50 for everyday life?

>>>>> "dm" == der Mouse <mouse%Rodents-Montreal.ORG@localhost> writes:

    dm> found some wireless cards which work, but I don't know whether
    dm> they're 11g or 11b or what.

AFAIK all 11g cards are cardbus and won't work.  the card which works
is the prism2 or orinoco.  but there seem to be some newfangled cards
called ``orinoco'' which are not eight years old and thus will not
work.  these will:

  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=370082893974
  http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110286570375

they are incorrectly calling it ``16-bit cardbus'' too.  it's pccard,
ISA bus, extremely slow.  I am planning to replace my current netbsd
2.0 PRISM2 AP (which is crashed every couple days by the modern
wireless stations) with openwrt/atheros-SoC and flip it to 11g-only
mode soon, so your card will not work in my house.  many places I
think it does work but not all places.

also, in a low power machine know that wireless can suck a lot of
energy, workable but not negligible compared to microdrive or display.
it's ok but, big.  I am not sure how these wifi celfones handle it.  I
bet they have special wifi chips that can't be obtained unless you
negotiate with terrorists.

don't buy this machine unless you are trying to impress someone or
build a fantastic basement museum of squished dreams.  It is a
completely impractical useless fucking pain in the ass.  At least it
has the gerbildick and not that idiotic resistive touchscreen and
plastic poking-wand, iirc, but aside from that, just forget it.  It is
barely able to flip ssh keystrokes onto 802.11.  It's not the last
MIPS/arm/superh laptop ever made---we are surrounded with the things
now.  But with no built-in radio, no camera, no realistic dozing-modes
support and no all-day battery, no outdoor-viewable screen, no
bluetooth...it can never become any more interesting than it once was,
only more annoying.

how about nokia n800 instead?  Supposedly there are ongoing OS
releases for it, _from nokia_ but under GPL so you get both regression
testing AND software freedom, and it supports enough proprietary
software to watch youtube.  I've never had one, but it sounds about
fifty times better than a workpad and stilll moderately cheap.