Port-hpcmips archive

Re: z50 for everyday life?

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Emanuele Santoro
<santoro%autistici.org@localhost> wrote:
> - I've read that the z50 has a 16 bit cardbus slot, and i can only use
>  16 bit pcmcia cards. I don't really know if it's a problem: i want to
>  search for a 802.11g compatible pcmcia card... are there any 16 bit
>  cardbus 802.11g pcmcia card? or i'll be able to use only old 802.11b
>  cards?

There are no 16-bit 802.11g PC Cards, so you'll have to use either a
supported 802.11b PC Card or a supported 802.11b CF Card with a PCMCIA
adapter.

> I just want something to get connected (read and send my emails (with
> mutt, using gnupg for privacy) and sometimes surf the web (with elinks
> or if needed, with dillo and sometimes chat in IRC or play nethack and
> connect home to see if it's all ok).
> I want it to be very low price: i should not damn myself if someone
> steal it, or if it breaks off.
>
> May the ibm workpad z50 be good for this pruposes?

The IBM z50 will probably work well for this purpose, although I have
never used one.  I have used a MobilePro 780 in a similar fashion, and
it worked really well for that.  I recommend that you install and try
out the system before you track down a RAM upgrade for the device; I
hear this can be expensive or hard to find, and you might not end up
needing it for your purposes.

Elijah

--
http://elijahr.blogspot.com/