Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0 installation woes
To: Jurrie Lulofs <jurrie@sackheads.org>
From: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 01/20/2005 09:23:50
* Jurrie Lulofs <jurrie@sackheads.org> [2005-01-20 02:01:23]:

>    I've already done/tried everything that you mentioned.  For network
> connectivity I used an Edimax-based 10baseT card.  I had no problems
> configuring the card (I kicked off an FTP based install from the MobilePro
> using one of the Internet ftp servers; NFS based attempts used a local
> i386 NetBSD NFS server).  To rule out networking issues I've gone to a
> local-storage based installation procedure (binary/sets on a CF in a
> PCMCIA adapter).  My target medium is a 512MB Sandisk CF card.

I tried all of these permutations as well, when trying to install on my
Workpad.

> In all cases I'm able to get the installs kicked off OK (though sometimes
> after failures I have to newfs the target NetBSD fs using an i386 NetBSD
> system).  Typically the installation is aborted (and the system is kicked
> into the debugger) while newfs is running or while the base set is being
> installed.

This sounds exactly like my problem.

> Haven't you ever seen any "ISA IRQ 3 -> vrgiu0" or "panic: TLB out of
> universe" messages pop up during your installation attempts?
>
> Frustration is the key sentiment at this time.  The only things I can
> think of at the moment are to try to install 1.6.1 and/or to try to
> install the base system on another CF card.
>
> Any other ideas or words or wisdom would be appreciated.

Yes. Find the patch in the archives in this message;
http://mail-index.netbsd.org/port-hpcmips/2004/12/30/0003.html

You will need to most likely rebuild a new release with this patch
added, (rebuilding the 2.0 branch (netbsd-2) worked for me).

This fixed all the panics and random hangs for me.

HTH

Matt
--
"Never rub another man's rhubarb."