Subject: Re: trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780
To: Matt Dainty <matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-hpcmips
Date: 12/30/2004 17:18:53
On 2004-12-30 matt@bodgit-n-scarper.com wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-12-30 at 03:53, Matthew Orgass wrote:
> > On 2004-12-29 algould@datawok.com wrote:
> >
> > > I've been having trouble installing NetBSD 2.0 on NEC MobilePro 780.
> > >
> > > Attempt #1:
> > > I was able to get the 2GB Microdrive partitioned in the CF port.  I had
> > > copied the contents of the installation CD onto a 128 MB memory card
> > > which was in a PCMCIA adapter/slot.  (This worked when I installed
> > > 1.6.2 onto a 1GB microdrive in the past.)  I was able to mount the
> > > memory card; but I got the following message when the installer tried
> > > to untar kern-GENERIC.tgz:
> > >
> > > panic: TLB out of universe: ksp 0xc2991fb8  epc 0x8014aee8  vaddr
> > > 0xae71f000
> > > Stopped at 0x801cdeb8:   jr   ra
> > >                 bdslot:  nop
> > > db>
> >
> >   If the booted kernel is same as installation/netbsd.gz then the epc is
> > in panic, the first sw to the stack.  A trace would be helpful in any
> > case.  It is possible that this is related to port-hpcmips/26158.
>
> Hmm, would that PR explain why my z50 keeps generating those 'TLB out of
> universe' panics? I can't get the installer to complete in a similar
> situation to the original poster, although this was still 1.6.2 last
> time I tried.

  It might, although it could easily be something else.  The problem in
the PR is that low priority interrupts are enabled while high priority
interrupts are being processed, which could cause all sorts of odd
behavior.  The interrupt code is the same in 1.6.2, but other code changes
later caused it to be more visible on my Clio 1000, usually in the form of
hangs although I do recall getting TLB out of universe occasionally as
well.  The reason it isn't more of a problem is because current code has
only three priorities in vr_intr: clock, soft interrupts, and everything
else, and normally interrupt activity is not very high on hpcmips
machines.

> I can dig it out and try the patches in the PR if that would help.

  I would say don't go out of your way to try it since that kind of
problem can often disappear or reappear with any kernel changes so only
continued presence would say anything.  A trace from the panic is more
likely to help identify the problem, but it could be useless also.  I
put a copy of the second patch (unmangled by the html PR display method
and with a few other small changes to other files) at:
http://www.city-net.com/~darkstar/netbsd/hpcmips.diff

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com