Port-evbmips archive

Re: RouterBoard 133 support

On Wed, Nov 19, 2008 at 11:47:11AM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> > Arnaud wrote:
> > >Using vlan(4) would move the processing from the hardware to the
> > >kernel and thus software processing of the data.
> >
> >Not if vlan(4) delegates to the hardware, as I propose.
> >
> cf my last mail of yesterday, the feature provide by the chip does not
> match vlan(4) features.

It seems that we are not understanding each other.

Let me re-state the general principle: if the hardware provides bridge(4)
or vlan(4) features, let us expose those features through familiar
interfaces, bridge(4) or vlan(4).

I thought that ADM5120 had vlan(4) features in hardware.  I was mistaken.
If ADM5120 does not have vlan(4) features in hardware, then vlan(4)
cannot delegate to the hardware, can it? :-)

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24