Port-evbmips archive

Re: RouterBoard 133 support

On Tue, Nov 18, 2008 at 05:56:18PM -0500, Arnaud Lacombe wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> I've been hacking the last two days my RouterBoard 133. I've made a
> couple of fixes on a private tree to adapt RB153 config. Code is
> available there:
>
> http://github.com/lacombar/netbsd-alc/commits/rb133-fix
>
> The biggest problem I encountered is the network. More precisely, the
> kernel does not map the external ports the same way the bootloader does.
> It resulting in a need to move the ethernet plug during boot.

I have heard of this problem before.  Maybe you mentioned it to me?
IIRC, there are six VLANs, one for each of the 5 MII ports, and a sixth
for a "virtual" port that connects to the CPU.  I suggest that if the
bootloader has assigned one port to each VLAN, then you derive the port
numbers from the VLAN matrix:

        MII0 MII1 MII2 MII3 MII4 CPU
  VLAN0      x                   x
  VLAN1           x              x
  VLAN2                x         x
  VLAN3                     x    x
  VLAN4 x                        x
  VLAN5                          x

In this case, the 0th MII port is admsw4, and MII ports 1 through 4 are
ports admsw0 through admsw3.

> The code
> is also missing the bits to detect notification from hardware (in
> particular handling of the PSC interrupt). I'll try to have a better
> look at this in the coming days.

Great!

> ps: is there a way to enforce arch endianness and fails if a wrong one
> is used? evbmips has no default MACHINE_ARCH, but the bootloader will
> fails with big endian kernel (the SoC endiannes is wired in hardware
> anyway).

I'm not sure what you're asking.  I build with build.sh -m evbmips-el.

> ps2: David, what happen to `sys/arch/mips/adm5120/dev/admflash.c' ?
> There is commented reference to it in `files.adm5120' but nothing seems
> to ever have reached the CVS.

IIRC, that was a NOR Flash driver.  It looked to me like either the
license was inappropriate for NetBSD, or an appropriate license had
been misapplied to some vendor/GPL source code by an honest mistake,
so I left it out.

Dave

dyoung%ojctech.com@localhost      Urbana, IL * (217) 278-3933 ext 24