Port-cats archive

Re: INSTALL kernel using tlp0 again

> > Revision 1.34 of cats/conf/INSTALL seems to have quietly put the cats
> > install kernel back to using tlp0 again, which still isn't finding its MII
> > properly (for unknown reasons).
> >
> > Is there any reason why this shouldn't be restored to the functional de0
> > driver?
>
> Is the de driver really more functional in general, or just for your
> card? The tlp driver has been getting a lot more care and feeding than
> the de driver in the last, oh, four years.
>
> As I mentioned last year when you brought this up, "tlp works for me",
> both with and without MII:

The tlp driver doesn't find its MII, consequently the machine will panic
as soon as you try to do anything with the driver (such as run 'ifconfig
-a').  That's fatal and means you can't install anything over the network.

The de driver may have its faults, but at least it doesn't bring the
machine down the first time you try to use it.

R.