Port-cats archive

Re: INSTALL kernel using tlp0 again

Richard Earnshaw <rearnsha%buzzard.freeserve.co.uk@localhost> writes:

> Revision 1.34 of cats/conf/INSTALL seems to have quietly put the cats
> install kernel back to using tlp0 again, which still isn't finding its MII
> properly (for unknown reasons).
>
> Is there any reason why this shouldn't be restored to the functional de0
> driver?

Is the de driver really more functional in general, or just for your
card? The tlp driver has been getting a lot more care and feeding than
the de driver in the last, oh, four years.

As I mentioned last year when you brought this up, "tlp works for me",
both with and without MII:

tlp0 at pci0 dev 8 function 0: Lite-On 82C169 Ethernet, pass 2.0
tlp0: interrupting at irq 18
tlp0: Ethernet address 00:a0:cc:dc:14:7f
bmtphy0 at tlp0 phy 1: BCM5201 10/100 media interface, rev. 2
bmtphy0: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 100baseTX, 100baseTX-FDX, auto

tlp1 at pci0 dev 10 function 0: DECchip 21041 Ethernet, pass 1.1
tlp1: interrupting at irq 9
tlp1: Ethernet address 00:e0:29:05:bd:38
tlp1: 10baseT, 10baseT-FDX, 10base2

Notably, the de driver doesn't even match the first device, or any of
the many non-DEC Tulip clone chips, which have been pretty common on
cheap 10/100 PCI cards of late.

 - Nathan