Re: PR #40571 - NetBSD Atari install fails to prepare 16GB MTRON SSD on ACARD SCSI to IDE bridge

Hi,

>                                                          Here's the
> relevant portion of the dmesg:
> http://i44.tinypic.com/ac5yl3.jpg

This looks fine.

> Here's the first part of the MTRON/ACARD disklabel:
> http://i42.tinypic.com/2lc4sgw.jpg

Whereas this is wierd.  We must be overflowing somewhere in the disklabel
reading code.

> So even though I zero'd the drive, the disklabel is wacky.  When I did the
> zero'ing operation it completed super fast (a few seconds).  My assumption
> was because the device is a solid state drive.  But I can imagine it's
> possible that the ACARD's implementation of the SCSI zero'ing command is
> "cheating" and not fully overwriting the disk with zeros.

Is it sending a SCSI format command?  Most modern drives return quickly from
that as well and don't actually re-write data.

Thanks,

  My other computer also runs NetBSD    /        Sailing at Newbiggin
        http://www.netbsd.org/        /   http://www.newbigginsailingclub.org/