Re: pushing netbsd-5 (Was: bootloader)

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 3:01 AM, David Brownlee <abs%netbsd.org@localhost>
wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Jan 2009, T. Makinen wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Izumi Tsutsui
>> <tsutsui%ceres.dti.ne.jp@localhost>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Note sysinst doesn't have menu items for ATARITT and FALCON kernels.
>>>
>>> http://cvsweb.NetBSD.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/distrib/utils/sysinst/arch/atari/md.h?rev=1.18
>>> Should we have them or not?
>>
>> I guess it's better to have them aboard that not :) Another issue with
>
>        Will test build (plus with further trimmed SMALL030 (BOOT)) with
>        updated sysinst kernel list before commit.
>
>> sysinst is when user wants to install sets from unmounted fs; installer by
>> default doesn't use -G flag when it mounts filesystem. To make it work
>> filesystem field must specified like "msdos -o -G" or filesystem should
>> be mounted before extraction of sets starts and "local filesystem" method
>> should be used; at least this must be documented.
>
>        What is the difference between a Atari-Gemdos and MSDOS
>        filesystem, can it *always* be reliably determined by looking at
>        the MBR or similar? If so then maybe NetBSD should be handling
>        that auotmatically...

Gemdos filesystem is quite similar to MSDOS, but there's some differences
according to disktype project:
http://disktype.sourceforge.net/doc/ch03s03.html

At least bootsector has different marker.

>> Whatever we do, maybe we should keep one kernel without RELOC_KERNEL
>> because there's comment in atari/atari_init.c in line 151 saying that
>> RELOC_KERNEL does not work on all TT's.
>
>        For now I'm inclined to say that should be SMALL030 (until we
>        find someone with such a machine who is willing to test kernels
>        to work out why!)
>
>        Hmm.. what would RELOC_KERNEL do on a machine with 2MB of TTRAM?

I booted FALCON kernel with different TT-ram values (with loadbsd -T flag)
and for a quick test at least kernel booted every time. However it would be
nice to know what happens with real amount of 2MB TT-ram... I'm not sure how
well NetBSD runs on 4/4MB machines - at least Frank's TT failed to boot
NetBSD (with ATARITT kernel, but BOOTX worked).

-Tuomo