Re: gcc -m68060 option in kernel Makefiles

Hello,

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 05:45:42PM +0000, David Brownlee wrote:

> I though the 040 added Move16? Whether or not thats useful in kernel or
> even used by gcc is another matter...

Yes, 68040 and 68060 have MOVE16. We use them in the kernel's memcpy
for large blocks, I think, depending on CPU, but I hope they're not
directly used by gcc - they hook into the cache line write pipeline,
so effectively block normal writes why they execute. I don't know by
heart how they're ordered with respect to normal reads and writes.

Regards,
        -is
--
seal your e-mail: http://www.gnupg.org/