Re: comments on installation instructions

matthew green <mrg%eterna23.net@localhost> writes:

> Greg Troxel writes:
>> Harold Gutch <logix%foobar.franken.de@localhost> writes:

>> > You can do that with a file "creds.txt" on the FAT partition.  See
>> > /etc/rc.d/creds_msdos for details.  A few archs (evbarm, evbmips,
>> > riscv) have "creds_msdos=YES" in their default /etc/rc.conf .
>>
>> Thanks.  I had no idea about that and added a brief description/pointer
>> to the HOWTO.
>
> there's a whole man page descripting it - creds_msdos(8). :)

I did find that once it was pointed out.  But it's not in /etc/rc.d on
my netbsd-9 RPI3.

I find it a bit odd to have the install image have rc.d content that the
standard system does not.  Certainly it's fair to add creds_msdos=YES to
the rc.conf on the image and have it off by default.

The man page says "found on the MSDOS partition of a bootable image" but
I at first thought it might mean "found in /boot/creds.txt when the rc.d
scripts (after mountall) run", because FILES says /boot/creds.txt.
Reading the script, I see what it's doing, but I didn't figure that out
from the man page.

The synopsis implies a script in bin or sbin, but it isn't.   I would
suggest changing the man page to say /etc/rc.d/creds_msdos in the
synopsis.

I don't mean to sound cranky -- this is very useful and I'm glad I know
about it.  It makes a manual process easier and I plan to try  it out in
the next day or so when I install on my new RPI4.