Re: Installing NetBSD-10 on Raspberry Pi

On Mon, 17 Jul 2023 16:11:13 -0400
Jim Spath <jspath55%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 15, 2023 at 4:16?PM Ted Spradley
> <tsprad%talent-free-studios.com@localhost> wrote:
> > Could someone please point me to the official, canonical procedure to install NetBSD-10 dailies on a Raspberry Pi? I have both 4B (64 bit) and 2B (32 bit) so if the process is different I'll need both.
>
> I think this is the best answer to your question:
> https://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/

After much careful re-reading and following links and some trial & error I've worked out a straightforward process for the RPi 4B. The synopsis is that you have to fetch two files:

http://nycdn.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-10/latest/evbarm-aarch64/binary/gzimg/arm64.img.gz

and

https://github.com/pftf/RPi4/releases/download/v1.35/RPi4_UEFI_Firmware_v1.35.zip

then dd(1) the .img to your USB memstick, delete everything from the boot partition EXCEPT EFI/BOOT/bootaa64 and copy the files from the UEFI firmware to the boot partition.

To document the process I wrote a little shell program: http://talent-free-studios.com/NetBSD/RPi4-NetBSD-10.sh

Read it carefully before you run it, particularly the unit numbers for /dev/sd? and /dev/dk?

--
Ted Spradley <tsprad%talent-free-studios.com@localhost>