gpio leds

Last year, I succesfully got some Christmassy leds to come on using
a rpi3. I am having a go this year with a zero w (rev 1), but it isn't
working out. New is:

gpioleds0 at simplebus0: ACT

# sysctl hw.led
hw.led.ACT = 0

which I don't remember from last year...

bcmgpio0 at simplebus1: GPIO controller 2835
bcmgpio0: pins 0..31 interrupting on icu irq 49
bcmgpio0: pins 32..54 interrupting on icu irq 50
gpio0 at bcmgpio0: 54 pins

There are a load of leds connected to the gpio pins. It isn't obvious
how gpioleds would know that. Can I tell it somehow?

I popped

gpio0 list
gpio0 list > /var/run/gpiolist
gpio0 4 1
gpio0 5 1
gpio0 6 1
gpio0 7 1
gpio0 8 1
gpio0 9 1
gpio0 10 1
gpio0 11 1
gpio0 12 1
gpio0 13 1
gpio0 14 1
gpio0 15 1
gpio0 25 1
gpio0 26 1

in gpio.conf. /var/run/gpiolist is empty.
(also tried "gpio0 4 on")

/var/run/rc.log says

[running /etc/rc.d/gpio]
Configuring GPIO.

"gpioctl gpio0 list" at the prompt displays nothing, but I assume that's
because I'm at securelevel 1.

How is this meant to work?

Cheers,

Patrick