Re: Marvell Kernel configuration problems

On Tue, Oct 18, 2022 at 04:42:21AM +0000, chiemimclean wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having troubles with the NetBSD kernel on an arm Marvell Kirkwood evbarmv5(QNAP TS-419U). Both current, and 9.3, with generic MARVELL_NAS kernel configuration. I can compile and tftpboot, create the userland and installer however the NetBSD does not pick up the four hard-disks on the NAS that I am working with. The issue I think has something to do with the Marvell Hercules-II Gen-IIe 88SX7042 series (mvsata) , which the Marvell specification sheet says that the Marvell 88SX7042 is a port multiplier, not a sata controller as such. I understand it could be that the configuration is simply not supported. Is there a secret sauce or something that I could do with the kernel configuration that I am missing in the generic MARVELL_NAS kernel configuration. I think I know the answer it would be to get a new NAS, buy something else but I have no funds. I would like to get all of the hard-disks available and working. Sorry I am just learning and I am a female new person to the NetBSD community. This is the first time I have asked for help, I hope it is different community to that of the stack overflow with their answer to everything is to DD the hard-disk when your computer is running...or something just as rude.

> [   1.0000000] mvsata0 at mvsoc0 unit 0 offset 0x80000-0x87fff irq 21: Marvell Serial-ATA Host Controller (SATAHC)
> [   1.0000000] mvsata0: GenIIe, 1hc, 2port/hc
> [   1.0000000] atabus0 at mvsata0 channel 0
> [   1.0000000] atabus1 at mvsata0 channel 1

I have a Kirkwood based GuruPlug with the same mvsata and have used SATA
disks with it (and also sata disks with an external port multiplier).

I had various stability issues with mvsata on an identical GuruPlug and
a different disk setup in netbsd-8 and netbsd-9 (so that machine ran
netbsd-7 untill it finaly died recently), but never saw it not
discovering the disks at boot time.

Martin