Re: Pinebook Pro images

Aug 26, 2022 7:33:33 AM Robert Swindells <rjs%fdy2.co.uk@localhost>:

> Matt Widup <mmwidup%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
>> Do you know what the controversy about SPI is recently?
> The original blog post about SPI is here:
>
> <https://blog.brixit.nl/why-i-left-pine64/>
>
> The response from Pine64:
>
> <https://www.pine64.org/2022/08/18/a-response-to-martijns-blog/>

Thank you.  So to clear things up it seems that all Pinebook Pros still have the same SPI flash rom they always had, and it is blank (does not boot from SPI) from the factory.

/*Frankly I think it's wrong for software developers to make demands to the hardware developers.  I actually think what Pine64 has done in this case is the most reasonable thing./*

This is what user "untitled" reports on the Pine64 forum:

>You have to pass these lines to u-boot console to boot from eMMC:

>setenv bootargs root=ld0a
>setenv kernel netbsd.ub
>setenv fdtfile dtb/rk3399-pinebook-pro.dtb
>boot

I have not had a chance to try this and see what else could be done.  I sure haven't had to do this with the other Pinebook Pro that I run NetBSD on.  I'm still puzzled why cloning the eMMC from that one did not work on my new one.  I still have not gotten NetBSD to boot on the new Pinebook Pro in any way.  But I haven't tried in two weeks.