Re: NetBSD, rPi and e-ink readers

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 15:52:13 +0100
Ottavio Caruso <ottavio2006-usenet2012%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

> I didn't say it didn't work. It was/is a speculative question. I don't
> have a Pi yet. All projects I've seen use dedicated e-ink boards (that
> is, not your standard Kindle or Kobo, just google "Raspberry Pi"
> "e-ink", there is one on the Pimoroni forum) and there's not much
> documentation. I assume those e-ink boards require drivers that
> might/might not be in the NetBSD kernel? I don't know, I'm just speculating.

Using a display module is a more standard solution than trying to hack a
consumer product like a Kindle to do something it wasn't designed for.
The Linux Raspberry Pi projects tend to use userland GPIO "drivers"
written in Python, which are minor effort to port to NetBSD's GPIO API.
They don't give you a native console, framebuffer nor X11 so you
have to develop your own user interface based on their rendering
primitives.

-Tobias