trouble on RPI3 with recent netbsd-9?

I have a RPI3 that has been mostly ok for years, currently running
9-stable.

A kernel built on

  Thu Oct  8 22:11:32 EDT 202

via build.sh release (via BUILD-NetBSD in etcmanage)bworks fine.

A kernel built from sources updated on January 4 does not boot.  I
updated the kernel and then userland and rebooted, and it didn't come
cup.  Mounting the uSD in a different machine and putting back the saved
kernel results in a system that boots and works just fine, with October
kernel and January userland (yes I know this is technically not a great
idea, but it is 9 which is ABI-stable).

I updated an i386 and an amd64 system with builds from the same sources,
and they were uneventuful.

I will update again, rebuild, and try the new branch.

Has anyone else updated along 9 recently, particularly on RPI3, and had
it work or not work?