Re: packages 2020Q4

mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost (Michael van Elst) writes:

> With the recent improvements in earmv6hf compatibility for aarch64
> I could now also complete a bulk buid of pkgsrc-2020Q4 for earmv6hf.
>
> http://cdn.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/earmv6hf/9.0_2020Q4_victory/
>
> Feedback is welcome.

I should dig out my RPI1 and install on it...

I have long wondered how much building for earmv7hf matters, in terms of
performance.  Specifically, given a machine that has a earmv7hf
kernel/userland:

  would using the v6 packaege build be slower in a measurable sense than
  using the v7 packages?

  Is the v6 package set missing packages compared to v7?

related to:

  Given a RPI3, is there any good reason to prefer v7 vs v6 for userland?

I'm guessing the answer is that it makes sense to use v7 packages on
v7-capable machines, but the answer is not yet in the RPI howto, so I
can add it if there is consensus/rationale.