Re: Issues with installer on 9.0 RC1's rpi_inst.img

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2020 at 09:33:19PM +0000, Luke Ross wrote:
> Hmm, I should have checked the problem reports first!
>
> On Wed, 2020-01-08 at 19:26 +0000, Luke Ross wrote:
> > Lastly, in frustration I tried to delete and recreate the MS-DOS
> > partition, which the installer let me configure but when applying it
> > crashed because it wanted to run "newfs_msdos" to format the
> > partition,
> > but this is not present on rpi_inst.img - so the installer bailed
> > because the command could not be run.
>
> This is similar to
> https://gnats.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/query-pr-single.pl?number=53472

Yes, this is somewhat by design - rpi_inst leaves the FAT partition as
is (except for the kernel which it replaces) and therefore does not
need newfs_msdos when run as intended.  rpi_inst is supposed to be
somewhat minimal and just contain the things it needs - I'm not sure
including newfs_msdos would add any real benefit to it.

  Harold