serial port

I'm trying to use a rapberry pi zero w's serial port to connect to a
device rather than as a console, but I seem to keep finding the console
attached - how does one achieve this?

cmdline.txt:
root=ld0a
console=fb       <--- isn't that enough?

config.txt:
enable_uart=1
force_turbo=0

Is there a way of disabling bluetooth and being able to use both UARTs as
serial ports simultaneously? (Given access to the pins, how can you tell
whether they are connected to the mini-UART or the PL011? (i.e. whether
e.g. dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt succeeded or not?))

Cheers,

Patrick