Re: uSD related: default rc.conf and fstab

On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 11:01:56AM +0200, Martin Husemann wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 22, 2019 at 10:52:02AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
> > I'm wondering about uSD related settings (in the default image).
> >
> > In order to reduce the writes on the card, wouldn't be advisable to
> > set:
> >
> > makemandb=NO
> >
> > in the initial /etc/rc.conf (to register this particular point)? (there
> > are probably others but this one tends to create a lot of data in /var).
>
> You could also mount a tmpfs on /var.

Yes. But I have added a mfs for /tmp and would like to keep the maximum
of the remaining RAM for files---it will be mainly a file storing
system and occasionally a file server, seldom processing data and seldom
with a connected user---so the quick availability of MAN related data
is not crucial.

And I want to avoid swapping to occur (with 1GB of RAM, should not
happen frequently the USB or eSATA->SATA connected disk + the ethernet
remote connection being the throttling) devices.

> > And could one set in /etc/fstab root with "noatime"?
>
> When you do that, copy /dev/MAKEDEV to /etc and remove /dev/* (but leave
> an empty /dev) around, then reboot. This will create a tmpfs on /dev
> and make your tty nodes have proper atimes.

Thanks for the tip! (I haven't thought of the /dev/*...!!!)

Best regards,
                     http://www.kergis.com/
                       http://www.sbfa.fr/