Re: Any good ARM based hardware for NetBSD fileserver

I finally setup my banana pi pro (thanks to the info I got from this list). I have a 2TB disk connected to the external SATA connector and portioned with gpt. It did fail to create a newfs on a single partition, so I crated to partitions and created two ffs2 file systems. Both lighttpd and samba4 compiled without a problem. Setting up samba now. Well, refreshing my memory on configuring samba as I haven't touched samba since samba version 2 with Solaris 8!

On 6/24/19, 7:42 AM, "port-arm-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost on behalf of tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost" <port-arm-owner%NetBSD.org@localhost on behalf of tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost> wrote:

    On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 07:08:36PM +0200, Manuel Bouyer wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 14, 2019 at 11:47:16AM +0200, tlaronde%polynum.com@localhost wrote:
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I'd like to have a fileserver only, running NetBSD, so since it needs
    > > only a CPU, no floating point unit, no GPU and should not be another
    > > electric heater, an ARM based one comes to mind.
    > >
    > > I'm playing a little with Raspberry but that's not it since what I'm
    > > looking for needs internal disks support and efficient ethernet
    > > interfaces.
    > >
    > > Does anybody know of some such hardware that is reasonably accessible
    > > (in Europe) and that will run happily under NetBSD (note: I don't care
    > > much about RAID; I didn't have very satisfying results with built-in
    > > RAID 1 so far so it is no prerequisite).
    >
    > Check the Olimex (olimex.com) A20-based olinuxino boards:
    > https://www.olimex.com/Products/OLinuXino/A20/open-source-hardware
    >
    > I use several lime2 and I'm happy with them.
    > They have gigabit ethernet and native SATA.
    > You can add a LiPo battery, and if you power your SATA drive from the
    > on-board connector (don't forget to order the cable with the board), the LiPo
    > battery will also power the drive.

    FWIW---as a conclusion to this thread---, I have selected this for
    testing purposes.
                         http://www.kergis.com/
                           http://www.sbfa.fr/