Re: Regarding NetBSD-current on Raspberry Pi 3

On Tue, Jun 26, 2018 at 2:36 AM, Neeraj Pal <neerajpal09%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:
> It is my first time in NetBSD community. So, I don't know which
> mailing list I need to use for my question, so, after searching I
> found this mailing list. So, my apologies if I did some mistake either
> by sending in wrong mailing list or if I have done some silly mistake
> in my question.

This is the right list.

> So, I am installing -current in Raspberry Pi 3 by using the image,
> "evbarm-earmv7hf" and also this one, "evbarm-earmv6hf" from
> "http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201806250640Z/";, but on
> both of the image serial console is not working. And, I did the same
> with FreeBSD just to verify the functioning of my USB-TTL and it is
> working fine with FreeBSD.

This is valuable feedback to the developers. These issues may or may
not be known, hopefully someone replies that knows about it.

These are just automatic builds of the -current source tree, which is
often not stable. More info here:

http://www.netbsd.org/releases/release-map.html

> And, I have also removed the framebuffer switching from cmdline.txt,
> but still it is not working.
>
> Then, I have downloaded the NetBSD-8 ("evbarm-earmv6hf") and then I
> found that serial console is working fine with NetBSD-8 image.
>
> Here, in NetBSD-8 also I need to remove the framebuffer switching line
> from cmdline.txt, after that everything works fine (only with
> NetBSD-8).

NetBSD-8 is nearly release quality so it make sense that more stuff
works. Again, this is valuable feedback.

Use the branch that matches what you plan on doing with the device. If
you are looking to help develop and/or fix bugs, maybe you want to use
-current. If you want a more stable device, use a formal release. 7.x
is the latest formal release but 8 is due soon.

Andy