Re: Support for PWM on RPI3 GPIO

> On Apr 3, 2018, at 10:32 PM, Hal Murray <hmurray%megapathdsl.net@localhost> wrote:
>

> thorpej%me.com@localhost said:
>> I know about the gpiopwm driver[*] … but the RPI3 has hardware PWM support
>> on one of the GPIO pins (GPIO18), and I’d prefer to use this rather than
>> soft PWM because I want to minimize any jitter in the timing that would
>> cause display brightness artifacts ...
>
> Can you use a serial port?  In synchronous mode there are no start/stop bits,
> so you get to control everything on the wire.

RPI3 only has one, yes?  I already have plans for it.  I know I can just throw extra hardware are the problem, too, as there are multi-channel I2C PWM controllers out there, too (popular with robot builders who need to control lots of servos).  I’m tempted to just plan to use bcmpwm (and fix it up, obviously) to drive GPIO18, but I need to do a little more homework on that first.

— thorpej