Re: NetBSD on a Pi3

john%ziaspace.com@localhost (John Klos) writes:

>> It does work, but a custom build is required to get full CPU speed with the
>> attached hack.

>How does that patch fix things? I'm not able to change my clock:

It disables the driver for the i2c interface that, on rpi3,
is used by the firmware for testing voltage (among other things).

># sysctl machdep.cpu.frequency
>machdep.cpu.frequency.target = 600
>machdep.cpu.frequency.current = 600
>machdep.cpu.frequency.min = 600
>machdep.cpu.frequency.max = 1200

># sysctl -w machdep.cpu.frequency.target=900
>machdep.cpu.frequency.target: 600 -> 900

># sysctl machdep.cpu.frequency.current
>machdep.cpu.frequency.current = 600

># sysctl -w machdep.cpu.frequency.target=1200
>machdep.cpu.frequency.target: 600 -> 1200

># sysctl machdep.cpu.frequency.current
>machdep.cpu.frequency.current = 600

It is still possible that the power supply is too weak or
the rpi runs too hot. The firmware will then reduce the
clock to minimum. You should see a warning rectangle
(rainbow or red/yellow) on a HDMI display.

                                Michael van Elst
Internet: mlelstv%serpens.de@localhost