RPI using recent image boots with non functioning gateway

I'm using a fairly recent RPI image which is based on -current. I
followed the directions here:

http://wiki.netbsd.org/ports/evbarm/raspberry_pi/ (using earmv6hf image)

This is an earlier Pi, I think it's called B+, it has a regular SD
card, ethernet port, 2 USB ports.

When dhcpcd gets the IP info, the gateway doesn't work. Pings to the
DNS server fail.

If I do route delete on the default gateway, then add back the exact
same info, it starts working. This happens every time it boots, I have
to do this manual step to make the default gateway work.

What's happening? What info should I gather? netstat -rn looks exactly
the same before and after.

Andy