Re: Raspberry Pi 2 VM options?

On Sat, 7 Nov 2015, Mayuresh wrote:

Wish to use pkgsrc to build packages for Raspberry Pi 2 on NetBSD 7.0

Storage is the main concern when trying to do so.

Tried using NFS share though it hangs after a while and the issue is being
discussed in other threads.

Tried attaching a USB stick, though it turns out to be quite slow. YMMV -
may be it depends on specific stick you have.

Now wondering whether I could use a virtual machine to compile pkgsrc
packages for NetBSD. Can qemu be used for this? Are there any other
alternatives?

I have used qemu to compile almost 400 packages, the same packages that
I compile (and install) on my real hardware.

qemu is much slower.  Part of this is due to the emulation itself, and
part of it is due to my inability to get qemu to run/emulate more than
one CPU.  The actual speed ratio varies, but for the whole set of 396
packages qemu is slower by a factor of about 15 to 20.

I suspect your USB stick is faster than qemu!  :)

| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee.com    |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd.org  |