Re: NetBSD on olimex lime2 ?

On Thu, 8 Oct 2015 18:46:30 +0200
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer%antioche.eu.org@localhost> wrote:

> Hello,
> is there someone running NetBSD on a olimex lime2 board ?
> I got mine to boot, but I have stability problems while the same
> kernel is fine on a cubieboard 2 (it's netbsd-7).
> I notice that the lime2 needs much more power than the cubieboard2
> (about 100-150ma more); but I suspect the gigabit phy ...
> Debian has power requirements of the same order.

It is not so much about the average power draw but about transients that
these tiny switchmode regulators cannot handle very well. My Banana Pi
would panic during bootup when powered from a 500mA rated USB charger
even though measured power consumption is only 250mA. My fix was to
solder a salvaged 6.3V 1000uF capacitor from a dead ATX motherboard
directly on the +5V input (across the SATA power) and it hasn't crashed
since. Your first measure should be to try a larger power supply and a
shorter & thicker USB cable.

-Tobias